Raise Your Voice!

Mattie Stepanek has a rare disease called muscular dystrophy,“Muscular dystrophy is a group of diseases that cause progressive weakness and loss of muscle mass, In muscular dystrophy, abnormal genes (mutations) interfere with the production of proteins needed to form healthy muscle, There are many different kinds of muscular dystrophy. Symptoms of the most common variety begin in childhood, primarily in boys. Other types don’t surface until adulthood,Some people who have muscular dystrophy will eventually lose the ability to walk. Some may have trouble breathing or swallowing,There is no cure for muscular dystrophy. But medications and therapy can help manage symptoms and slow the course of the disease”(http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/muscular-dystrophy/basics/definition/con-20021240).I think people should know what his disease is because he over came it by like 10 years and was always positive even when he knew there was a good chance he could of died.“MDA is the world’s leading nonprofit health organization sponsoring research seeking the causes of and effective treatments for neuromuscular diseases. MDA research grants currently are supporting more than 250 projects worldwide (http://www.mda.org/)”. I think people should start donating to this association for kids like Mattie to get cured.People that have it die young but Mattie didn’t die young he always said “I’m gonna live another year” and had the most positive attitude ever he never was sad or mad he was always happy and cheering people up. He got to get a wish for Make A Wish foundation an his was to meet Oprah Winfrey and president Jimmy Carter and they both had never seen such a kid with a big happy heart. Mattie wrote poems called Heart Songs they became published as one of his wishes and also became a very popular book. Mattie has inspired tons and tons of people to just be happy and live life the way nit is and make everything positive. This is important to me because People with this disease can’t speak up for themselves so they can’t make a difference for themselves and raise money for them and others to get cured and I don’t think enough people donate to help people with muscular dystrophy because they probably don’t realize that 20,000 to 200,000 people are born with the disease so they don’t think it’s a big deal.

One Response

1. sydneyk20 at |
    Reply